Type: Bachelor’s (Undergraduate), Master’s Degree
Who: Asylum Seekers in the UK
What: Full Tuition fees + living expenses
Where: Newcastle University, UK
Program Length: 3 years
Deadline to Apply: 07 April 2023
Destination Countries: UK
Academic Subject(s): All Subjects
The Newcastle University Sanctuary Scholarships offer students who are refugees or asylum seekers in the United Kingdom an opportunity to study at the university. The awards consist of full tuition fee support and a bursary for living expenses.
Sanctuary Scholarship applications for the 2023-2024 academic year will be considered from students applying to undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, including Ph.D. and other doctorate level programmes.
The following applicants are not eligible to apply for Sanctuary Scholarship funding:
– Applicants for Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Dental Surgery courses.
– Study-abroad and exchange students.
– Applicants for non-degree awards (Higher Education Diploma, Higher Education Certificate, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma).
For more information, please see the Sanctuary Scholarship Regulations.
Deadline: April 7, 2023
The following categories of applicants can apply under this scheme:
– Asylum seekers and refugees.
– Children of asylum seekers and unaccompanied asylum-seeking children (e.g. child migrants under 18).
– Applicants who have been granted Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave to Remain as a result of an application for asylum, or who are the children of a parent in this position, may also be considered.
In addition, applicants must:
– Be living in the North East of England (Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland, Cleveland and North Cumbria) at the time that they apply.
– Have applied for a place on a Newcastle University degree program. Priority will be given to applicants applying for their first degree.
– Have predicted grades that meet the entry requirements for the degree concerned.
– Meet the English language criteria for their course or have relevant qualifications to indicate their English language competency.
– Be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant.
How to apply
Applicants will be required to upload proof of their immigration status and a reference. The reference should be from someone who has known the applicant for a significant period of time and who is aware of their personal circumstances.Please read the Sanctuary Scholarship Application Guidance Notes carefully, before completing the application form.